The Best Safety Razor Blades For Sensitive Skin January 2019
Once you have mastered the art of shaving with a safety razor, there is no going back to less manly ways of getting that smooth look. If you have found a good safety razor, next you need to find the best safety razor blade.
A wrong choice of blade can spoil your safety razor experience. You can get frustrated if the blades get dull quickly or give you easy cuts and nicks. The double edged blades (or DE) are the most popular ones and you need to consider a few factors when selecting the blade.
Top 10 Safety Razor Blades Comparison Table
Gillette 7 O' Clock
5 Best Safety Razor Blades For Sensitive Skin
1. Astra Platinum
The Astra Platinum DE blade is one of the best safety razor blades around made by Gillette in Russia. These are made from high quality steel and platinum coated for great durability.
They are sharp but not aggressive enough making them our top pick for those with sensitive skin.
It is mildly aggressive and one of the best double edge razor blades that can give you a close shave with no cuts. They are great for beginners and for experienced shavers alike. Each blade can give 5 to 10 shaves depending on your hair thickness.
Astra comes in a pack of 100 blades, with 5 blades wrapped together in wax paper but has no blade disposal slot. They offer excellent value for money and is one of the best DE razor blades today.
The Personna DE blades is another best double edge razor blades manufactured in the USA.
They are glide-coated high quality stainless steel blades that gives a smooth shave for those with sensitive skin.
The Personna blades have a rust free surface to prevent any risk of infection. If you have normal hair you can get 5 to 10 shaves with this blade and for those with coarser hair can get 3 shaves out of this blade.
It is mildly aggressive and the glide effect ensures an easy shave for beginners. They come in pack of 100 with each blade individual wrapped in paper. The Personna blades have excellent quality and offer good value for money.
The feather blades from Japan are one of the best safety razor blades in the world that offer high quality and highest sharpness.
Feather blades are made from high quality steel and platinum coated for great durability.
They are highly aggressive blades and are recommended for people with enough wet shaving experience. They are one of the sharpest blades in the market and not suited for beginners.
They can give the closest wet shave for those who know how to use them. Experienced wet shavers with sensitive skin can make use of this blade for a quick shave with less passes. This can reduce any irritation on skin due to less passes needed for a clean shave.
It come in a pack of 50 with each blade individually wrapped. The case has a slot for disposing the used blades. They are expensive compared to other blades, but the performance is flawless.
4. Derby Extra
Derby is another popular DE blades that hail from Sweden. The blades are made of stainless steel and coated with a unique combination of ceramic, tungsten, chromium and platinum that gives the blades a longer life.
It is manufactured by a sputtering technique that ensures uniform coating of the blades.
They are one of the least aggressive blades in the market making them a popular choice for beginners and also for those with sensitive skin. The blades can get dull after 3 to 5 uses and may not give the best results for more experienced shavers.
Derby blades come in a pack of 100 and are individually wrapped in packages of five. The slotted blade box is useful to dispose of the used blades. They are great for beginners and one of the best DE razor blades available at a very affordable rate.
These German made high quality blades are another best razor blades for safety razor. Merkur blades are crafted with high quality stainless steel.
The Merkur blades are mid-level aggressive blades, so beginners need to use them carefully.
The good thing for those with sensitive skin is that these blades don’t cause much nicks or bumps. Experienced users may find the blades to be less sharp than expected for its high price.
Merkur is one of the most expensive blades in the market. They provide a fairly decent shave and are easily available everywhere. Merkur come in a pack of 10 or 50 with each blade individually wrapped.
Buying Guide For Razor Blades
Here we list some of the important factors to consider while buying your next pack of razor blades.
- Blade Agressiveness- More aggressive blades mean sharper blades that increases your risk of getting nicks or cuts. If you are a beginner better stick to mild aggressive blades.
- Experience Level- If you are just starting out with a safety razor, it is better to use blades that are mildly aggressive. They are also good for sensitive skin types. If you are an experienced wet shaver or have thick coarse hair, you will need more aggressive blades.
- Razor Type- Choose a blade that works well with your razor system. It depends on the safety razor type, its weight and the exposure of the razor head. Some razors have an open comb while others come with safety bars for better protection.
- Hair Thickness- If you have thick hair you will need sharper blades for comfortable shaving. Short hair can be removed with less aggressive blades but longer hair will require aggressive blades.
- Duration- The life of the blade depends on your usage pattern, thickness of hair and style of shaving. The average blades last for around 5 to 10 shaves and can last for a week or two depending on above mentioned factors
- Price- You can choose from a variety of blades of different quality and features. They come in inexpensive packs of 50 to 100 blades that can last for a while. There is not much price difference between the various brands and the choice depends on your needs.
Check this video on how to change the razor blade safely.
To Wrap Up
These are some of the best-selling blades in the market today that is immensely popular with the wet shaving community.
The Astra Platinum is the our top pick among the safety razor blades that works well for beginners, experienced shavers and for those with sensitive skin.
Also the fact is, different blades will react differently depending on your hair thickness, skin, presence of acne and other factors. If you are not getting that comfortable shave, you can easily switch to another blade listed in our best blades for safety razor.
This is not possible in multi-blade cartridge where you have made a huge investment initially. In the long run they are even cheaper than using a disposable razor.
Safety razors are gaining popularity with women also who hate waxing or using an epilator, and they can use one of the blades featured here for a clean shave.