The Best Anti Aging Foods For Younger Looking Skin In 2019
At this level, collagen production is reduced and your health deteriorates but if you eat right, you can rebuild your cells, protect them against the signs of aging.
When a certain age is reached, cells begin to die gradually and new, healthy ones cannot be formed easily.
You don't need anti-aging creams to get youthful skin; you can achieve it by your choice of food because what you eat reflects on your skin.
A balanced, healthy diet can give you a shiny and reflecting skin that you will appear younger than your age.
What is an Anti Aging Food?
Any food that helps reduce the signs of aging is an anti aging food. Premature aging occurs due to toxins, stress, sun exposure, disease, weight gain and damaging free radicals.
To minimize these effects on the skin, eat foods with anti aging properties to counteract the damage of free radicals, which cause cellular damage and disease.
These super foods are loaded with antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and are highly beneficial and nutritious which are very effective in fighting and slowing down skin aging naturally.
These foods can reduce damage in cells thereby slowing down the aging process.
Benefits of Anti Aging Foods For Skin
Antioxidant is a food group which helps reduce the effect of aging and also fight against oxidative stress in the body caused by free radicals.
These antioxidants also help to fight against cancerous diseases also caused by free radicals which are linked to abnormal cell growth.
These best anti aging foods help fight wrinkles and fine lines thereby erasing every trace of aging on the skin. They also keep the body away from any age-related illness like heart disease, arthritis and osteoporosis.
Free radicals causes’ collagen production to be reduced causes damage to blemish and pigments, so, this antioxidant food helps eliminate these signs of aging.
Antioxidant foods do not need to be tasteless; they can be exotic foods with high amount of nutrients which are beneficial to the health. The antioxidant food group includes polyphenols, Vitamin C and E.
The foods for anti aging listed below will improve the health and give you a younger, radiant skin.
15 Best Anti Aging Foods for Younger Looking Skin
Do you want to live healthy and young forever? It's all about eliminating those free radicals from your system and protecting your health from anything linked to free radicals and oxidative stress through antioxidant food group.
These list of food have nutrients that helps protect the body and are filled with antioxidants and other nutrients that needs to be included in your diet.
The foods listed below can help reduce or partially eliminate aging signs such as skin discoloration, wrinkles, fine lines, patches. A good diet gives good health, which in turn results in good and glowing skin.
1. Dark Chocolate
Chocolate comes from cocoa seeds which is rich in antioxidants. It can be good for the health but you have to take it in small quantities.
The best chocolate is the dark chocolate though it may likely taste bitter and fatty elements is not added compared to the milk and white chocolates.
In essence, the darker the chocolates, the better it is for the body and just a minute quantity a day is enough as it is full of antioxidants but low in sugar. It is also full of Proteins and Vitamin B.
Flavanols which are needed to keep the blood vessels functional is found in raw chocolates and when the blood vessels are functional and active, blood pressure is normalized. Flavanols also absorb ultraviolet Radiation thereby protecting the skin from being damaged by the sun.
- It helps to get rid of aging signs like fine lines and wrinkles.
- Helps avoid type II diabetes associated with old age.
- Helps reduce the risk of age-related disease such as heart and kidney disease.
A round fruit with a red, leathery rind with many seeds covered with red, juicy, edible flesh.
Pomegranate juice contains more than 95 phytochemicals and it has been used for medicine for many years.
Pomegranates are enriched with various vitamins and minerals like riboflavin, phosphorus. Pomegranates have high water contents which rebuild cells.
It also contain Urolithin A, a powerful molecule which assist in regenerating damaged cells thereby making new cells to be formed.
Pomegranates are among the healthiest anti aging fruits on earth. They contain a range of beneficial plant compounds unrivaled by other foods.
It helps in promoting beautiful skin and assists in skin tightening. Extracts from this fruit promotes the functioning of dermal cels. It helps reduce the risk of heart disease and inflammation.
As an antioxidant-rich fruit, it helps reduce cholesterol and blood pressure and prevent heart failure.
- Its antioxidant ability is more than that of red wine and green tea which helps remove free radicals, reduce inflammation and protects cells from damage.
- Continuous intake of pomegranate juice helps stop the growth of prostate cancer cells.
- It also protects the memory, heart, arteries, and helps lower blood pressure.
Many varieties of olive exist and they are all good for the skin. Spanish olive is delicious and easy-to-make which can be used as a sandwich spread for vegetarians or topping for fish and poultry.
Olive oil contains monounsaturated fats which help in building tissues and control risk of heart disease.
Olive oil is known to be the best anti-aging food as it contains certain polyphenol and super powerful antioxidants which helps eliminate free radicals from the body.
The best option of olive oil is the extra virgin olive oil but olive oils are better than vegetable oil as they contain monounsaturated fats which don’t clog the arteries and helps lower bad cholesterol and prevent inflammation while vegetable oils contain mono-saturated fats.
Another option to olive oil is coconut oil which offers anti-bacterial, antiviral, and anti-inflammatory properties.
Olive oil lowers the risk of heart disease and cancer when used for cooking and it is used to skin treatment. It contains antioxidants which helps protect the heart and fight against anti-inflammatory effects.
Olives such as black olives are also a good source of Vitamin E antioxidant, and they contain antioxidant minerals like selenium and zinc.
Examples of foods high in monounsaturated fats are Avocados, peanuts, and almonds.
- Vitamin E in olives protects the skin from ultraviolet radiation thus preventing cancer of the skin and premature aging.
- It improves vision.
- It is a good source of Iron.
- It reduces cholesterol level in the body.
- Reduces the risk of skin cancer.
Avocados also known as "wonder fruits" have powerful anti-aging properties contained in both the flesh and oil. This anti-aging property protects the body against free radicals.
They penetrate cell structures to the mitochondria and activate the production of energy thus allowing cells to function properly even while it is attacked by free radicals.
The mitochondria play a vital role in the fight against free radicals. Mitochondria are central components of our cells that produce most of the cells energy from nutrients.
Unfortunately, this mitochondria produces unstable chemicals which causes damage to itself and other cellular components. This damage done affects aging and the only remedy that can reverse it is the avocado oil.
Avocados are a great source of healthy fat rich in monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats that keep the heart healthy with lower cholesterol and contain fiber, protein, and it boost the body's ability to absorb fat-soluble nutrients from other fruits and vegetables.
They possess antibacterial and anti-fungal properties that helps support a healthy system making them one of the best anti aging fruits.
- Avocado oil reduces age spots.
- It rejuvenates the skin.
- It boosts collagen production which helps prevent aging.
- It eliminates acne.
Watermelon is a fruit highly concentrated with antioxidant vitamins such as Vitamins A, B, and C.
The seeds are concentrated with Zinc, Selenium, and Vitamin E, this is the more reason why the flesh and seeds should be blended together in a food processor and taken as juice.
The flesh and seeds of the watermelon are very nutritious and it's contents helps in fighting radical damage and aging.
Watermelon contains vital electrolytes, minerals, antioxidants and vitamins and it is extremely hydrating thus it is called "the ultimate anti-aging fruit". All these factors contained in it reduce wrinkles formation and keeps the skin moisturized.
- Watermelon helps protects the skin from harmful wrinkles or discoloration because of it's high concentration of essential Vitamins.
- It contains a high amount of antioxidant which helps eliminate free radicals from the body system and neutralizes any reactive oxidative species.
- It helps reduce blood pressure by dilating the blood vessels so that more blood can pass freely through thereby lessening the risk of stroke and cardiac arrest.
- Vitamins C and E penetrates the skin to induce collagen production which is vital for smoothness and healthy skin. This collagen production helps protect the skin from sun damage which can result in extrinsic skin aging and wrinkles.
6. Red Wine
Red wine is made from red grapes and contains flavonoids which helps reduce the risk of age-related diseases and is also rich in antioxidant.
These flavonoids help the neurons to sustain sharp memories and improve the brain's recovery from exposure to toxins and aging.
The antioxidant present in red wine helps protect against any heart disease. The skin of the red grapes helps eliminate the effects of aging with its anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory property known as Resveratrol which can also be found in cranberries, blueberries, and peanuts.
Resveratrol is an antioxidant belonging to a group known as polyphenols. It helps promote DNA repair and cell regeneration by stimulating an enzyme called Sirtuin.
Resveratrol has a high concentration in redwine and it gives the wine its red color. It is found in seeds, stems, and the skins of grapes used for making the wine.
Continuous intake of redwine in minute quantities can help slow down the process of aging by removing wrinkles and age spots on the face and skin to give a youthful look.
Although this wine promotes longevity, it cannot be completely effective alone. A healthy lifestyle should also be maintained and diets like seafood, vegetables, fruits, olive oil, grains should also be taken.
All redwine contains Resveratrol but Pinot Noir has the highest concentration. To get the therapeutic amounts, you need to consume more but it is not recommended to drink more than 300mg daily, so supplement becomes the best option.
- Red wine makes the skin glow and gives a youthful look.
- It protects the skin and reduces the risk of skin aging and skin cancer.
- It protects against diabetes by balancing the blood sugar level.
- Helps improve and maintain brain power even at old age.
- Promotes and maintain weight loss.
- Good for longevity by inducing several longevity genes and prevent aging-related malfunction of cardiovascular system.
Whole grains like brown rice, quinoa and oats are rich in fiber which supports digestion. Oats are low-glycemic complex carbohydrate food which do not cause acne, wrinkles and maintain blood sugar level.
There is a strong correlation between oatmeal and cholesterol reduction as oatmeal is rich in soluble fiber that gets rid of bad cholesterol.
The antioxidants contained in oats protect cells from damage which in turn helps plump skin and reduce wrinkles. Refined bread, pasta, and rice are high-glycemic foods which can spice up blood sugar level and cause acne and wrinkles.
Oatmeal is a perfect quick breakfast and is very healthy. Low-glycemic foods like oats help prevent bacteria causing acne from growing.
They also balance the hormones and normalize oil production. By boosting collagen production in the body, wrinkles are eliminated.
- They reduce the risk of heart disease by getting rid of bad cholesterol since it is rich in soluble fiber.
- They help eliminate acne, wrinkles, and maintain the blood sugar level of the body.
- They have a natural plant chemical which helps prevent skin cells damage and soothes any irritation of the skin.
This is one of the most effective anti-aging foods for skin. They protect brain cells from damage and reduce inflammation. Berries are an exotic fruit that can make you look younger.
There are different varieties which include strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, and acaiberry.
The entire berries family is a rich source of the important plant nutrient called flavonoids which possess anti-aging and anti-cancer properties. They contain antioxidants which promote cell health and protect against diseases and are also rich in polyphenols.
The high concentration of Vitamin C in berries helps improve collagen production which minimizes wrinkles and skin discoloration.
Amongst all berries, blueberries are the best and they are one of the most powerful fruits available. They contain more antioxidants than almost any other fruit.
Blueberries are very rich in Vitamin C which helps in blood circulation and they provide mineral salts that fight aging process. The Vitamin C in berries also helps the collagen in the skin to maintain its elasticity.
- They produce collagen which helps minimize wrinkles and skin discoloration.
- Berries help to fight off cancer and oxidative stress thereby reducing inflammation in the body.
- The high concentration of Vitamin C helps prevent the skin from wrinkles, sun damage, and also help in blood circulation.
- The high concentration of potassium helps in fluid balance regulation in cells to fight puffiness and fluid retention.
- They also protect brain cells from damage and reduce inflammation.
9. Wild Salmon
Salmons are very rich in omega-3 fatty acids which helps our cells to function properly and it also reduce inflammation. This omega-3s also keep the skin radiant, supple, wrinkle-free, and reduces puffiness.
This high quality, digestible, protein rich food can improve skin texture and erase fine lines or any age-related skin and heart ailments. They are one of the world's healthiest foods.
Wild salmon and other cold water fishes like sardine and tuna are great sources of protein. They help maintain and repair the body and skin on a cellular level.
The color of wild salmon which may be pink or red is because of the presence of a super carotenoid and multitalented antioxidant with potent anti-inflammatory properties called Astaxanthin which helps improve skin elasticity and reduces fine lines.
Astaxanthin is also available as a nutritional supplement in stores.The flesh of the wild salmon fish also contains a powerful antioxidant known as Dimethylaminoethanol DMAE.
It is great for skin toning and firmed skin. This DMAE is an enhancer which improves memory and nerve functions. High intake of DMAE increases muscle tone which in turn reduces the appearance of sagging.
Wild salmon fish helps keep the cholesterol level to a minimum and protects the tissue connection within the body and brain. They are also very oily and it is not advisable to take a lot of it at once since oily fishes have higher mercury levels, which if taken in large amounts will outweigh the benefits of the omega-3s.
- It gives strong bones and joints.
- It increases the efficiency of various brain functions with improved memory.
- Regular intake of wild salmon helps reduce systemic inflammation and the risk of hypertension and stroke because it is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids.
- It gives better eyesight, reduces the risk of glaucoma and it's essential for eye development in infants.
- Salmons Omega-3's are capable of killing several cancerous cells.
Pineapple is a tropical fruit rich in a mineral called Manganese needed to activate an enzyme known as prolidase. This prolidase in pineapple helps provide the Amino acid, Proline for collagen formation which strengthens and boost skin elasticity.
Since collagen production decreases with increased age, consuming pineapples at this stage is very essential as the manganese helps boost collagen formation.
Pineapple is one of the most important anti-aging foods for skin and it also makes the skin glow and the collagen produced helps erase wrinkles and fine lines.
Pineapples are great for the skin as they contain vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and enzymes which polish the skin, erase wrinkles and fine lines, and treat acne.
It contains 85% water, Vitamins B12, B1, B2, C and carotene, iron, zinc, copper, potassium, calcium, magnesium, iodine, manganese, and bromelain.
Bromelain is an enzyme composition with anti-inflammatory properties which reduces skin swelling and redness, treats acne. Most pineapples anti-aging and skincare benefits come from bromelain.
- Bromelain enzymes in pineapples cause skin firmness, flexibility, and the collagen formation prevents wrinkles.
- Vitamin C, antioxidants and bromelain in pineapples helps in treating acne, fine lines, sun damage and other skin problems.
- Applying pineapple juice on the face helps prevent pimples, blemishes and clears dark spots.
- Direct application of pineapple to the skin or consuming it daily can soften and heal the skin leaving behind a supple skin.
This little green fruit can be said to be the "king of fruits" because of its very rich and comprehensive nutrients. The flesh of kiwi fruit has a bright green color and a distinct rich flavor (which can be sweet, tart, acidic, and sour).
Its taste is similar to the taste of lemon, honeydew, strawberries, melon, and orange. It has numerous black seeds which add a crunchy texture to it.
It is also the most suitable weight checker because although it is nutritious, it is low in calories, it's unique dietary fiber can give rise to a sense of satiety, promote digestion and absorption.
Kiwi is not suitable for people with diarrhea. Milk or other diary product should not be taken immediately after eating this fruit. The antioxidants in kiwi helps maintain skin firmness and also slows down wrinkle formation.
It also contains Vitamin C and E which are outstanding antioxidants that protects skin from free radical attack. Kiwi contains large number of acids which can inhibit Keratinocytes cohesion and pigmentation and also eliminate dark spots, improve dry or oily skin tissue.
- It rejuvenates the skin.
- Causes cell regeneration.
- Maintains firm skin.
- Prevents skin diseases.
- Fights against acne.
- Prevents sun damage.
- Promotes fairness.
- Lightens dark circles.
- Has anti-aging effects.
- Controls excess Sebum production.
Apples contain certain compound that protects the brain from damage which may lead to Alzheimer's disease. Their fresh fermented residue is healthy for skin and body.
Frequent intake of apple fruit can reduce fats and retains great level of water because of the organic compounds and enzymes present in it.
Therefore, the skin can look fresh and healthy due to this high water retention. Apples are full of fiber which helps maintain digestion and this is important for a healthy skin.
They also contain phosphorus, potassium, calcium, iron, vitamins A and C. They contain polyphenols which function as antioxidants to fight off free radicals that causes wrinkles.
- Makes skin to look fresh and healthy because of its higher retention of water.
- They contain iron which causes glowing cheeks and healthier look.
- They help eliminate wrinkles because it contains antioxidants which fight free radicals in the body.
- The fiber content in apples helps maintain a clean digestive system.
- Apples help maintain the pH levels of the body fluids which in-turn acts positively on the skin.
Regular intake of spices can help keep wrinkles and fine lines away. Turmeric is an excellent spice when taken internally or included in regular cooking. It can help prevent the risk of Alzheimer's disease at old age.
Turmeric has superb anti-inflammatory and superior antioxidant properties. Curcuminoids is the antioxidant present in turmeric. Curcumin can stimulate antioxidant defenses in human denual fibroblasts. At low doses, antioxidant enzymes production increases.
Turmeric also treats conditions of oxidative stress, raises the level of antioxidant enzymes, eliminates free radicals which causes oxidative stress and prevents lipid peroxidation.
With these, including turmeric in your diet can be helpful in terms of supplementing the antioxidant intake. The anti-inflammatory properties and cell rebuilding properties of turmeric can prevent the appearance of wrinkles and age spots.
Garlic, cinnamon, bay leaves, onion, whole peppers, are also spices with anti-aging properties. The best way to consume turmeric is to drink it in the morning; this gives maximum health benefits throughout the day.
- The strong antioxidant, curcuminoids is capable of treating conditions of oxidative stress.
- It helps protect skin from ultraviolet ray damage.
- Turmeric helps to fight aging, cell damage, and chronic diseases.
- The antioxidants in turmeric help in the body's detoxification to keep skin clear, firm, toned, and radiant.
14. Red Cabbage
Cabbage is high in vitamin C and organic sulphur. It is also high in fiber and water content which is good for weight loss.
Cabbage is considered as a sulphur-rich food which provides a type called sulforaphane that helps reduce oxidative stress which accelerates aging process by causing wrinkles.
It has detoxification abilities which directly affect the healthiness of the skin. Consuming raw or lightly steamed cabbage with a fruit and vegetable diet makes our body function properly, with its ability to eliminate toxins and waste.
Cabbage contains natural fiber, glocosinaolates, antioxidant polyphenols, and isthiocyanates ITC's, which helps regulate bacterial population in the digestive tracts and this is a major part of detoxification.
These components when eaten on a regular basis ensure our natural cleansing and detox processes are working effectively which results in a healthy functioning body and clear skin.
The fermented version of cabbage called Saurkraut has fiber, water, and with probiotics formed which contributes to healthy microbes in the intestinal tracts.
Red cabbage is a nutritious and delicious vegetable which is very popular for some reasons. It is also called Purple cabbage or Red kraut and is a member in the Brassicaceae family found in Northern Europe, America, and parts of China.
It can be used as a pH indicator since it changes color depending on the pH balance of the material it is in.
- It's high fiber and water content makes it suitable for weight loss.
- The vitamin C in cabbage is used by the body to make collagen which keeps the skin supple and tight.
- The organic sulphur in cabbage provides strength and resiliency to hair and skin.
- It helps eliminate wrinkles by reducing oxidative stress.
Grapes are round or oval in shape and they grow on woody vines and in clusters. They have a very juicy flesh encased in a smooth skin and may contain edible seeds. Grapes are either red or white and are packed with anti-aging phytonutrients.
They are also classified as table or wine grapes depending on their uses. Table grapes are larger, seedless with thinner seeds while wine grapes are smaller, seeded, and sweeter with thick skins.
There is a characteristics whitish substance found on grape skins which is from a type of yeast that naturally occurs on the fruit. It is this yeast that led to the innovation of fermented grapes or wine. Grapes have varieties which include Thompson, Ruby, Perlette, Flame, and Tokay.
A cup of grapes contain 104 calories of which 23 grams are from sugar and 1 gram from fiber. They are a good source of Vitamin C, K, B6, potassium, thiamin, riboflavin, copper and manganese.
Grapes contain phytonutrients compound which has powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. These phytonutrients are only found in the skins ns seeds of the fruit.
Red wine offers greater health benefits than white wine because red wine is fermented with the fruit skin whereas in white wine production, the skin is removed before fermentation process.
Grapes are classified under the family of berries and come in different varieties and colours such as green, blue, red, purple, and black.
- Resveratrol in grapes inhibits free radical formation capable of causing cancer.
- Resveratrol helps prevent signs of aging and other skin problems and when combined with benzoyl peroxide which is an acne medication, helps fight the acne causing bacteria.
- Intake of grapes results in lower levels of inflammatory proteins and higher amounts of protective proteins in the retinas, so it is good for the eye.
- Certain enzymes in grapes bring about anti-inflammatory effect in the body. This reliefs the arteries, promotes heart health and helps in other body repairs.
The collagen which keeps our skin taunt and firm begins to breakdown as we grow old; this causes wrinkles, fine lines, and sagging skin. These signs of aging normally don't start to occur until after a certain age although, premature aging and wrinkles can still occur.
Proper nutrition prevents signs of premature aging, fine lines, wrinkles and sagging skin. Skin creams, anti-aging lotions and moisturizers that promise to reverse the skin signs of aging is not the best.
Always consume foods that are loaded with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties to look soft, healthy and youthful. The foods above will set you on the right path.
These best anti aging foods for skin help to maintain normal levels of insulin and blood sugar. You'll notice a visible difference in your body and skin in as little as three days. When you take care of your body, you take care of your skin too.
Last Updated on