Epilating is a great way to keep hair at bay for up to six weeks.
It’s an alternative to the more costly act of waxing or shaving every other day or week. Epilating has become more and more popular over time as a result of this.
But what is facial epilating?
How does it work and why do so many people swear by it?
Epilating essentially involves multiple tiny tweezers, whirling around to remove unwanted hairs from your skin. The rotating roller of tweezers plucks hairs right from the root for long lasting smooth skin.
Epilators can remove hair from all over your body but if you are looking to get rid of facial hair, then it is better to go for an epilator designed for facial hair.
One of the most popular facial epilators on the market today is the Emjoi Epi Slim+ e18.
Table Of Contents
Emjoi Epi Slim Epilator Review
1. The Emjoi Epi Slim+ e18 Epilator
The Emjoi Epi Slim is a compact facial hair remover with eighteen tweezers and uses a three disc system to remove and keep hair away for up to six weeks.
The Emjoi epilator for face is battery operated and compact enough to be travel friendly.
The machine is braced with Erase Glide Technology and glides smoothly over skin with no tugging or pulling.
The three disks are patented where two are used to stretch the skin for increased comfort. This also reduces irritation.
What’s in the Box
The box consists of the Emjoi Epi Slim+ e18 device, a cleaning brush, instruction’s and warranty details.
Features and Specifications
The Emjoi Epi slim comes equipped with
- 18 tweezers for best results
- Patented 3 disc system for maximum comfort
- Erase glide technology for efficient hair removal
- Skin glide technology that lifts hair by gliding tweezer discs with least irritation
- 540 tweezer actions per second
- Has optimal 14 mm discs for hair removal
Compact and Handy Design
We loved the small design of the Emjoi Slim e18 which makes it perfect to use in sensitive and small areas of the body.
This includes the face, underarms, and bikini line areas. The entire machine is about six inches long and will fit into any toiletry or makeup bag.
The eighteen tweezers that are found on the rotating wheel is one of the most ever on a facial epilator.
Power and Portability
This epilator is battery operated; however, it remains powerful and can withstand a serious twenty minute session, every day for over a week.
The batteries should last for up to a month before needing to be changed. This is a great epilator for anyone who wants something compact, travel friendly, and easy to use.
2. How to Use the Emjoi Epi Slim Epilator
Prepare Your Skin
Before you use the epilator on your skin, you need to adequately prepare it in order to obtain the best results. If you intend to use it on your face, washing, cleaning and exfoliating your skin helps.
Try to use a gentle scrub to remove any excess dead skin cells and debris.
Try to let your facial hair grow out a little bit before using the epilator as it needs something to grab onto and pull out. It’s best to keep it at a length of around 5mm.
Useful Tips For Epilation
- If you’re sensitive to pain, a great tip is to take a warm shower before use so that your skin’s pores open up and the hair is pulled out with more ease.
- It’s important to practice good healthcare on your face before and after epilating. Once your skin is hair free, your pores can easily clog up with sweat and bacteria. It’s important to disinfect the surface of your skin before and after use.
- Using something gentle like witch hazel or salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide can prevent breakouts. After using the epilator, you can disinfect the head by dipping it into some alcohol solution.
- If you have never used an epilator before, the loud noise mixed with the spinning disk of tweezers can be daunting. Getting yourself used to the loud noise and pinching sensation will take time, so don’t be disheartened. The results will be worth the efforts!
- The pain sensation is also something that requires getting used to. The best thing to do is to try and do a patch test on the back of your arm or somewhere where there is not much hair.
3. Using The Emjoi Epi Slim Epilator
- To use the machine, simply run it over your skin. Move in slow, circular motions and continue to do so until the required area is smooth.
- You can hold your skin taut with your free hand to aid in the removal of hair. Hold the epilator straight onto the area of skin.
- It will take some practice to be able to guide the Epi slim correctly. Remember, you’re not using this machine the same way you would an electric shaver, instead, you should not be making contact with your skin.
- Use gentle pressure and almost hover over the skin. Be wary of pinched skin if you press too hard with the epilator.
- As you continue on your epilating journey, you’ll realize what does and doesn’t work for your skin.
- You may have to adjust the angle of the machine or try different gliding movements that work better for your particular hair growth patterns.
- Regardless of how you work with it, the key to remember is that the logo on the machine should always face you. If your hair is not being pulled, it means it’s too short and needs to be grown out a little more before proceeding.
- The process of removing hair also requires you to pass the head of the machine over the required area of skin a number of times. The machine won’t pull out all the hairs at the same time and has to be glided across the skin in circular motions again and again until all hair is gone.
4. What results to expect
As with any epilating machine, you will have to expect some pain. It will vary depending on your own pain threshold but try to remember that you are essentially pulling a bunch of hairs out from their roots.
Take your time, if you can only do patches at first, work with that. The pain will decrease as you get more comfortable.
You can expect clean, stubble free skin for up to six weeks when done correctly. At times, as with all forms of hair removal, you may come across some in grown hairs.
Whilst it is used for fine hair, it will not pick up short hair. Hair must be a minimum of 5mm in length for best results.
The best thing to do to prevent such things from happening is to take caution and always exfoliate and clean the area before and after each epilating session. Salicylic acid can also help with the pain of in grown hairs.
If any redness or rash like irritation occurs, take a break from epilating and consult your family doctor. Whilst some redness is normal after a session, too much of anything is never good. If you have highly sensitive skin in particular, take precaution and seek medical help.
Compared to larger devices on the market, it won’t pick up short hair. If you’re comfortable growing out your hair for a while then again, this is for you.
If you have dark hair that you can’t grow out because it looks bad, then perhaps you will require something that is more fine-tuned to pluck even the most delicate and fine of hairs.
For women with fair skin and light, almost invisible hair, growing it out is not always an issue and hence, the Emjoi might work perfectly for you.
5. Pros and Cons
Should you Consider It
The Emjoi Epi Slim+ e18 is a great all-rounder and for the price, you can’t go wrong.
It has a lot more to offer than its older models and is a great option for women who are trying epilating out for the first time and want something small enough to travel with.
If you’re not interested in splurging the big bucks on a full sized epilator but are curious to see if this form of hair removal can work for you, then this little guy is your best bet.
If you don’t have the time to make consistent and frequent waxing appointments or don’t have the patience to shave every other day, than it’s a great alternative.
Whilst it does hurt, it will leave you with smooth, hair free skin for weeks! So you can focus on other things in life without having to worry about getting rid of your moustache.
All in all, this is a great Emjoi epilator for face that is worth its price if you want to explore epilating but aren’t yet fully committed!